Wednesday, October 13, 2010

3 Very Different Approaches to Modern Art




For me, painting is play time. I'm not a sports fan, I don't collect antique dolls [that would just be wrong!] and I don't really have any toys that go real fast and endanger my life. So, I muck around in my studio. [Translate - garage].

Playing means not having any boundaries and the three paintings shown here illustrate three very different approaches to a blank canvas.

'Red Hot Chili Peppers' is what I like to call a 'keep-dumping-the-media-on-the-canvas-and-moving-it-around-until-I-don't-hate-it" piece. Often these pieces have previous lives and I just take them down and paint over them. It's the ultimate feeling of empowerment and control. Of all the techniques, this one is probably the most fun. And often in this process I uncover new techniques that can be replicated for more of a 'technique piece' approach to production.

"Warrior Queen" is a concept piece that was in my head and took form in acrylic. It ended up pretty much the way I pictured it in my head. My inspiration was a friend who has really inspired me in a lot of ways.

Finally, 'Good Vibrations' is what I like to call a 'technique piece' that utilizes a specific brush stroke, brush type and contrasting or complimentary color palette to give it life. Technique pieces are great for series and rapid production and have proven to be popular with collectors.

Well, there you have it. I think I might try and do a step-by-step painting next, so if ANYONE reads this and wants to try it themselves they can. And remember, if you don't like what you see, you can ALWAYS paint over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment